Friday, September 26, 2008

From Houston

Yesterday was Captain Adorable's worst flight ever. Sigh. It really wasn't that bad, I guess, but it seemed awfully hectic to me, while I was working hard to keep my unhappy-and-yelling-about-it-boy entertained and quiet.

Anyhow, we went to see the oncologist at M.D. Anderson today. Got some different answers than we got from the oncologist at Johns Hopkins, where I am a patient. (I mean, I'm a patient at M.D. Anderson, too, but you know what I mean (I think). I go to Johns Hopkins all the time and I've only been to M.D. Anderson twice.) Armed with this new information I feel much more decisive and a bit more hopeful than I have felt in a while. As far as I am concerned as of right now, I will not be doing chemo this fall. (That of course could change...so nobody, including me, should get too happy about this.) That does not mean that chemo is off the table, because with metastatic disease and multiple growing nodules, I need systemic treatment (and chemo is systemic treatment). However, for the moment I am convinced that pursuing a clinical trial would be the best choice for me.

I am attracted to the clinical trials in immunization. They have not been terribly successful yet, but imagine how great it would be if we could get my body to fight the cancer for itself! And of course by using my own body, perhaps I can avoid some of the damage that standard-of-care treatments (including chemo) cause. If it would work, it might be a chance to have a long life (or, the chance to die of something other than cancer...). Of course, as I said above, although it is promising, so far it is not very successful. Still, I am interested in finding out more about the study and evaluating whether it would be a good option for me.

No comments: