Friday, December 9, 2011

Buckling My Seatbelt

I am finally home at the end of a long day and I do not have good news to share. I am in for another ride on the treatment train, folks. The CT scan today showed growth again.

The good news is, I have a very slow-growing cancer and the nodule that is growing is still quite small. The bad news is that it is growing. My oncologist, who was totally on the ball this time, has suggested (and I have agreed) to contact the same doctor who performed my RFA back in May 2009 (which successfully destroyed a nodule). He and his attending recommend chemotherapy after the RFA. He will talk to one more doctor, his supervisor, and I will hear from him on Monday and start this treatment very soon. Perhaps before the end of the year.

I have called Captain Obvious (who is on a plane home from California right now), my parents (I told them each separately), my sweet MIL, and I told my friend who was taking care of Captain Adorable. I hope the rest of you will not mind the update via blog because right now I want to eat dinner and do something fun with my son.

Here's a quote from the preliminary report:
9 mm lingular nodule, slightly increased in size and density since the prior study. Suspicious for disease progression. No new areas of involvement.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear the news. I am happy that no new growths have formed. You can kick this one in the butt as well.

Anonymous said...

I am thinking of you. Treatment sucks. But you know the routine now. Put into place what needs to be there and do what needs to be done. This sucks but you can do this. (from L another with motherhood and cancer)

alexis224 said...

I have not been able to find my blogs, but I was very anxious to hear your news so I have been searching and at last found you again and need to do some catch up reading since I have not been on in a while.

I'm so sorry that you got this discouraging news. I wish I knew how to help. How are you feeling about it - are you frustrated or frightened, or do you feel like you are familiar with the routine and resigned to the process? I'm sure you are feeling many things at different times.

The fact that you have kept up with your scans and were able to catch this early is a promising sign. I don't know if that affects the length of your chemo treatment? I hope that it means that your treatment will be quick and relatively easy. I know you are in the best hands, and that you are educated and very involved in the course of your care and that is so important!

Please please let me know if there is something I can do, say or listen to. You have so many people who love you and I know that the force of all these wishes on your behalf can truly make a difference. I hope you had a good weekend with your Captains.