Friday, July 23, 2010

Sometimes It Don't Rain But It Pours

Captain Adorable developed 25+ red blotches on each leg and a fever. The blotches spread and the fever climbed. We didn't know what was going on (could he have chicken pox? But he'd been vaccinated! But you can get a mild case even after vaccination...) and had to cancel all our playdates for the week, which made him (and me) extremely sad.

Then we heard the official diagnosis for my sweet MIL and she's got a long hard road ahead of her. Captain Obvious have been doing a lot of brainstorming on the ways that we can help her. I've been suggesting resources I think she should pursue for herself and for her family (like counseling services). Captain Obvious has been sharing advice and help with her also. I think we have a lot to offer and I hope she will let us help in the ways that we can help. After all, we've already traveled the cancer journey road. We've also both shed tears over this; I feel especially protective of my husband, who in the space of 3 years has had the two most important women in his life get diagnosed with late-stage cancer. I know he is a strong guy with a buoyant core but, well,

Just to top this off, while I was on the phone with my MIL (my sick little guy was watching tv) and I noticed little bloody splotches on the off-white tiles in the foyer. I wondered where they could be from until I finally realised that they are the bloody footprints of my beloved but much maligned cat, Trout. His eosinophilic granuloma complex is acting up again. So now a few days of steroid pills for him. Good thing he does not mind taking pills (the only cat I know who cooperates with being forced to swallow pills!). I feel bad for him now that I know exactly what steroids do to one! Seriously, I know exactly how the pills make him feel as we have both been prescribed the exact same steroid (dexamethasone).

Captain Obvious left for a business trip (8 days in Hawaii, poor thing) at 5:00 this morning. Oma and Opa arrive tomorrow to keep us company in his absence. I hope Captain Adorable is rested up enough to do all the things we've got planned!

No comments: