Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Too Boring

The last two weeks have been full of wonderful adventures for my son. First there was the week in Tennessee, then we came home, had a few super fun play dates, and then the other grandparents and an uncle or two showed up. Grandpa (FIL), Lita (his wife), and their son (Uncle Green, since that's his favorite color) arrived on a Wednesday evening and left on Sunday afternoon. In between we did so many things I may have forgotten them all!

Wednesday was Uncle Green's 21st birthday and we celebrated by going to a crabs place. Captain Adorable likes crab but more than eating crab, he likes to use the wooden mallets to pound on their shells. He takes the big ones from the discard bucket and smashes them to smithereens. Lita hand fed him several tasty morsels, and would have given him more, but he really was more interested in the hammering (plus he had had dinner already because traffic made them a little later than expected).

On Thursday all of us except Grandpa, who was hostage to his work, went to the water park at a big amusement park close by. It was a lot of fun! The adults (except Lita, who preferred not to) got to go on the big rides and all adults got to spend time with the little guy in the area where he can go on all the slides (except one). He kept going and going and going until in the end he was almost robotic.

On Friday we went out on the boat for an dinner/sunset/moonlight sail. It was fascinating and beautiful as always. We almost got run over by a cargo ship (ok, a bit of an exaggeration but for real, it was a bit scary!!!), and as usual the task of avoiding the crab pots at night is annoying, but we all came back in one piece. We didn't get home until ten till one in the morning.

On Saturday the other uncle joined the family party in time for frozen yogurt after lunch. Then we split up into two parties. Captain Obvious, his father, and his two brothers went out on the boat again, while Lita, Captain Adorable and I went shopping. We wanted to buy a few games (Go Fish and Old Maid), which we got, and we also got some books and clothes for Captain Adorable. Also an alphabet board game which, much to my surprise, he actually enjoys. We went to bed before ten. The boaters didn't get in until 2:30! So glad I did not go! I would have been even more exhausted than I was the next day.

On Sunday we all went to brunch. I think we got to the restaurant at 1:30 or so...anyhow, it was delicious and a good way to say goodbye to everyone. They all took off after lunch. The captains and I went home and took a long nap. :) Goodness knows we needed it!

Yesterday was full or errands and then an ice cream social at the neighborhood playground. Today we had a nice play date with some neighborhood kids at the same playground. There were rockets and a remote controlled car and Captain Adorable climbed in a pine tree till he was higher than the basket ball goal twice. Once they all left, we gather oak tree bark and pine needles to boil down to make natural dye for home made play dough. At home we started working on boiling everything down. Captain Adorable announced, "I wish Oma and Opa and Grandpa and Lita would come back. You are too boring."

Sigh. ;)

1 comment:

alexis224 said...

What a wonderful summer! I enjoyed reading that, thanks. Incidentally, I am having the same problem with being "too boring" on the days that we recover between summer celebrations. I am struggling against the feeling that it is my job as a mother to entertain my child constantly. It's not, right? Or is it? Geesh, someone's got to do the laundry! But for now, we're off to library storytime...