Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Backyard Bird Watching

I have a very popular bird feeder. It makes me happy to watch the birds who come to eat. I love seeing so many beautiful creatures up close. It is fun to look through the bird book to figure out what a bird is when I see a new species. I enjoy sharing this past-time with my dad; he and my mom also have a popular bird feeder at their house. It is interesting to compare the types of birds we see, as we are 500 miles apart.

On a daily basis I see:

  1. Chickadee (not sure if it is a black-capped or Carolina)
  2. Tufted Titmouse
  3. Cardinal (I even once saw a juvenile--they have black beaks, unlike adults, whose beaks are red/orange)
  4. Nuthatch
I often see:
  1. Blue Jay
  2. House Wren
  3. Downy Woodpecker
  4. Red-bellied Woodpecker
  5. Red-winged Blackbird
I have also seen:
  1. Mourning Dove
  2. Grackle
  3. Scarlet Tanager
  4. Pilliated Woodpecker
  5. American Golfinch
  6. Oriole
Today I also saw a neighbor's cat walking up the stairs on my deck to scope out the bird feeder. I have found solutions to keep squirrels and raccoons out of my feeder but I may have to stop feeding the birds to keep them out of danger from this cat. I myself am a cat owner, but I keep my cats indoors, in part to protect birds from them. Domestic cats are the cause of much devastation to songs birds in this country. Some places, including Montgomery County, Maryland do not allow cats outdoors unless they are leashed.

No comments: