Saturday, September 5, 2009

Growing Up

Since the accident at the train museum three days ago, Captain Adorable has done every subsequent poop in the potty! I'm not reporting on pee anymore because he consistently does every pee in the potty (except when asleep). In fact, he's been pooping in the potty by himself and then calling me to view the fait accompli. If I happen to be around when he needs to go, he sends me out of the room and gets the job done on his own. I am sooooo happy and proud!

He's been sleeping in his own bed every night (he does wake up a lot earlier than when he slept with us, but most mornings he gets in bed with us and goes back to sleep for a while). For the past few nights, he has even been falling asleep by himself! After his bath, I read him two books (which he chooses, of course), then lie down with him and sing to him. After I think he is relaxed enough (half an hour or less), I get up, tell him where I am going, and ask him to stay in bed and go to sleep. So far he's done this 2 nights in a row. I am perfectly willing to stay with him if he needs more time, but I am also interested in him being able to fall asleep on his own.

Suddenly I am the mother of a guy who is toilet trained and falls asleep by himself in his own bed, where he sleeps all night! Am I ready for this??? Buying him that bed and giving him his own room was a huge change, and one he was obviously ready for, seeing as his reaction has been so positive. He loves his bed, loves his room, and talks about them all the time. The first thing he does when people come over is take them up to his room to show it off!

I miss cuddling my little one to sleep and nursing my little baby, but I am also proud of his independence and confidence. Our big king-sized bed feels like a big bed again. And, if Captain Adorable needs less from me, then I have more to give to myself, and well, I am a cancer patient on chemo, so being able to give more to myself is also welcome.

WOW our house was booked for two showings today, so we're just back after being gone for almost 2 hours. I can't see any evidence that anyone was here at all! Last time there was a showing I noticed little things (like the door to the garage was open when it had been closed before, etc). Either these people had super concientious agents, or they didn't show up!

2 comments:

mamefati said...

I miss my baby as well!
Happy Birthday, Rose, I sent lots of good thoughts your way.

Anonymous said...

I keep reminding myself that our kids are supposed to grow up and become independent but boy do I miss my little babies! I think moving both into their "big boy rooms" was harder for me than it was for them. Good luck with all of that. Big hugs from another mommy with two "Big Boys" now.

Ms. Breadwinner.