Saturday, April 17, 2010

Nerve Pain

On a less happy note, and yes this is effecting me enough to get its own post, I am having a terrible resurgence of nerve pain in my back and side and chest (read: breast). It feels like burning and/or stinging. This pain prevents me from using my arm, from bending over, and from any type of reaching or stretching. For a few hours yesterday I was even carrying it in the weird position I adopted right after surgery--about 6 inches from my body. Anyhow, I am telling myself that it is a good sign, that it means nerves are growing back/waking up again and that soon this maddening, weirdly creepy prevailing numbness will heal back to normal.

3 comments:

kristenok18 said...

I don't know if this will help or not, but after I had several reconstructive surgeries on my arm I dealt with insanely painful sensitivity. The PT/OT I was seeing recommended using a thick towel to rub along the scars (ouch!), in order to help desensitize them. The longest and most sensitive scar was along the inside of my upper arm and elbow, and I definitely remember having to carry it out away from my body and wearing only short sleeves to avoid that pain. I hope you are able to find some relief soon! (((Hug)))

alexis224 said...

That sounds terrible! I'm sorry to hear it and thinking of you.

Lindsay said...

That sucks. :( Does carrying your arm that way lessen the pain? Do your doctors have any suggestions?