Saturday, September 25, 2010

Fun and Educational

I've written a few times about how I'd like to home school my son. While my plans may have changed somewhat, (you have probably noticed, haha, that we are sending him to preschool), I am still committed to home schooling...or, teaching him at home in addition to what he might learn in school. Or, to look at it another way: doing fun stuff together which is also educational. Of course, as you know from reading this blog, I take my son to many places; I try to provide a wide variety of fun and educational activities outside the home. But you may not know that I do a lot of projects with him on those days we do stay home all day (or a quiet inside activity in place of a nap or television). In my opinion, pretty much anything we do is a learning experience for Capt. Adorable! Here are some pics of a few of the things we've done together recently.
Toy zip line.
Boiling sunflower petals to make natural dye for homemade playdough.

Boiling pine needles to dye playdough
Kneading the sunflower dyed batch of home made playdough.
More kneading
L to R: dyed with oak bark, pine needles, and sunflower petals. Oak worked best.
And yesterday we made this together:
Two story toy house made of shoe boxes. Complete with ramp for accessing second floor!

Very pleased boy and just completed toy house.
I have not included pics of the milk carton boat (which really worked!) or the milk carton bird house (which we are still working on, sigh). Nor have I pictured any of the many, many paintings, drawings and collages Captain Adorable makes. I so enjoy doing these things with him! Many props and thanks to the wonderful blogs where I got the ideas for the naturally dyed play dough and the toy zip line.