Thursday, June 10, 2010

Sudden But Not Unexpected

My grandma died on Monday, June 7, 2010. We buried her this morning. She was 90 years old (had her birthday celebration right here in my house a couple of months ago), and her death was sudden but not unexpected. I am sad and I will miss her but I am happy that she did not linger or suffer...

Her influence is woven into many aspects of my life and I will never be without her. She was, like everyone, full of contradictions. She was generous and controlling. She loved jokes and funny stories and she has bored me endlessly. She was outgoing yet often her very public interactions seemed to hide who she was. She never talked to me about my cancer but I found out today that she talked to everyone else about it...

She thought my every step was worthy of boasting about to everyone around her, yet she always told me (implied or straight forwardly) I wasn't doing enough. She wanted me to write her letters and call her, which made me feel important. She loved my husband and his family. She gushed over my darling Captain Adorable. She re-read things I wrote ages ago and asked me new questions. She hated computers but somehow managed to keep apprised of what I wrote in this blog. I considered having one of those blog books published just for her but never did.

I loved her. I love her. I will not say goodbye because she remains in my heart.

2 comments:

OJ and Adam said...

Just a *hug*.

alexis224 said...

I'm sorry to hear of your loss Rose, but I'm also glad to hear that her death was mercifully swift. My own granny died in March - she was less than one month from her 100th birthday.
Your granny sounds like a lively, vivacious person, what an honor to have her in your life. All the best people are full of contradiction!