Monday, August 18, 2008

Fabulous Visit!

My sister came to visit me and I had a fabulous time. We have not seen each other since we were 19 or 20 (we're about to turn 35), so it has been a while. I say "we" in reference to our ages because we were born on the exact same day in the same year. We have different mothers. Yeah, kind of a cool coincidence. :) Yes, our father was a busy man.

Anyhow, she lives in Europe, so it is not very easy to visit each other. Which is why it has been so long. I was a little trepidatious about the visit--it could have been uncomfortable or awkward or boring. But I had a terrific time seeing her and having a chance to hang out with her. She's funny and enthusiastic and smart and beautiful. Her boyfriend is very nice too.

One of the many things we did that made me very, very happy was...(drum roll)...we got tattoos together! I have wanted a tattoo since I was 25 but somehow just have never done it (though several times I almost did). I asked her, mostly as a joke, if she would like to get a tattoo yesterday and to my surprise she said she would think about it--not in the way that means "no," but in the way that means she's actually going to think about it! Sure enough, by 9:30 on Sunday night, we each had an infinity symbol tattoo. We were inked at Jinx Proof in Georgetown (Washington, D.C.). The tattoo is the same exact design, but mine is 50% bigger than hers (ah copy machines are very useful, aren't they?!), and it is on my lower back (I know, tramp stamp territory, but no one is going to be seeing mine because I do not wear pants that low!) You can see my big ol' scar from lung surgery, too.

She got hers on the back of her neck, like a piece of jewelry.
The infinity symbol of course represents (the hope for) a long life for me and also the everlasting quality of a sibling relationship. I hope it represents the same for her. The tattoo also commemorates this visit, this moment in my life, this moment in her life, and this birthday we share (35, after all!). I plan to add something next year and every birthday from now on. I think next year I will add a rosebud...and then maybe an orchid or perhaps a lily. My sister said she hopes I will run out of space and have to start going down my legs!

I want Captain Obvious to get the infinity symbol tattoo now too. In fact, I think I am going to ask my brother and my Mom if they will do it too. Maybe I can get all the people who love me to get one. I like that idea. A beautiful, simple, permanent mark on their bodies. I will be remembered every time they look at the tattoo. Well, probably not going to happen, but I can dream, right?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

your cute.
I am so happy you had fun!
What a special connection you and your sister have, same b-day? wow.
sweet.

AP said...

If I could find a single stretch of skin that doesn't seem vulnerable to stretch marks, I might join you. Alas, I think it would end up being a pitiful gesture. :)

Your sister's visit sounds wonderful.

Gina Alsdorf said...

We have a whole string of family with Superman tattoos its really not that rare :) Congrats on your tat! It's hard to stop at one - glad you are adding.