Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Getting Ready For The Trip

It is easy to feel happy and excited when I am getting ready for a big wonderful trip! This will be the biggest trip I have taken with Captain Obvious since our honeymoon 6 years ago (he pointed out to me that this trip is more expensive than our honeymoon was, too), and the biggest trip since the one I took on my own the first summer of law school (6-week trip to South America and South Africa). This is the first big trip with Captain Adorable. We bought a new camera, so there will be tons and tons of photos.

I also bought some more toys for the plane, another new bathing suit for me, a new (and bigger) swim diaper for Captain Adorable, and another swim shirt (sunblock shirt) for Captain Adorable. I assume we are going to spend most of our time in bathing suits next to water (poolside or beach) and I want to make sure I keep my little son's skin protected. Those sunblock shirts cut down on the amount of sun screen I will have to constantly reapply, if you know what I am saying. I also checked a while bunch of children's books and a couple of adult books out of the library so no one will be bored on the flight and we will have plenty of potty books no matter where we are.

We plan to go to Houston, when we get back from Hawaii, to get an official second opinion. However, my FIL has already consulted with the oncologist at M.D. Anderson there (the one I saw last October) and she has also recommended more chemotherapy. My FIL is looking into clinical trials to see which I might be qualified for...but no matter whether we chose conventional treatment (more chemo: Altima, which is administered once every 21 days for 6 months, then a 2 month break, then 6 more months) or a clinical trial (which most likely is not going to be fun either--let's face it, cancer treatment is never fun), this trip is the last bit of genuine enjoyment I am going to have for a while.

I have been reading the blog of a woman named Mandy, who died of cancer in January 2008. She was diagnosed in May 2007. Interesting to read about her perspective on the tests and the treatments she went through (so much of which mirrors my own experiences). Interesting to think about the fact that I have been blogging longer than she did. Interesting to wonder if perhaps her last months would have been better served by forgetting about treatment and just living every day to the fullest instead of being crippled by the tests and the treatments...I know, it is easy to second guess decisions of someone else, looking back; I am not trying to disrespect her decisions, just getting some perspective for my own.

I have been informed by 3 family members that they are interested in getting tattooed!! I hope to post pics of all of them. I like the idea that my beloved boy will see signs of love for his mother on the people close to him, whether I am alive or dead.

I am watching the women's diving on the Olympics while I write this entry. These athletes are so amazing. I want them all to win!

2 comments:

AP said...

I haven't forgotten about you or your trip. I realized that what I'm putting together has so many desserts! But then I suppose it is the land of sugar cane plantations.

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful trip. I have a tattoo to honor one of my best friends who has Cardiomyopathy, about 10 of us total got a cherry tattoo for her. It's awesome & it feels good.

I am thinking of you.

Rachelle-a-tron from MDC