Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Helping Others

I recently heard the story of a 30 year old woman who was just diagnosed with cancer. I want so much to help her, to share with her the lessons I have learned, the pitfalls to avoid. I want so much to help her advocate for herself. I have so much, well, I guess the best words are love and hope that I want to communicate to her. I wish she would call me.

But she is not going to. (She has been given my number.) I am going to have to hope for her from a much less-invested perspective just to protect my own heart. My path is mine; her path is hers. We've made different decisions and I have no right to input into her life (seeing as I am a stranger and all). And yet I want to help her so badly. I ache to hear her voice and to help her to navigate the system. The beginning is so hard and so frightening. I could help so much. Sigh...

Please join me in sending her positive thoughts and love and prayer.

3 comments:

Betty said...

Oh, how I understand. There have been several times I have known about a new bc patient and have longed and wanted to be there for that person, and the phone doesn't ring. Prayers be with all of us who want to reach out and for those who we want to reach out to.........Betty

alexis224 said...

Are you sure it's not a good idea to call her? I know if it were me (diagnosed) I would want to call, but I'd probably decide I was too scared or shy. Whatever happens, I'm joining you in wishing her well.

Rose said...

Betty--thanks for your understanding. I really needed to read exactly something like what you posted.

Alexis224--I don't have her phone number. And she has transmitted the message that she is not interested. So despite my desire to reach out, I must respect the person I want to help and leave it to her. Who knows--maybe she will call me in a week or a month and give me the chance I crave.