Friday, May 7, 2010

Maiden Voyage

Following in the footsteps of our crazy decision to buy a sailboat, we made another crazy, spur-of-the moment decision this morning and decided to go bring our boat home. When we bought it, it stayed in the slip where the previous owner had it until we could come get it. Well our drop dead date was May 12, and we decided to just go ahead and do it today instead. I was a little worried, but figured that if my darling Captain Obvious said he could, then he could. We were both correct.

It took us about 6 hours to sail from the slip in the St. Micheal's area to the Annapolis area. Just the three of us aboard. Nice winds. Some no-joke waves (Capt. Obvious says they were between 1 and 3 feet, which means that some were 1 and some were 3!). I did get sea-sick, which is to be expected, unless I have anti-motion sickness meds and I did not. So, yeah, I puked. Captain Adorable was a bit bored and also rather excited and really wanted to pull on every line he saw, but all-in-all, he was incredibly cooperative and wonderful.

And now, my dear friends, I am tired and my living room stills feels a bit like the sea...

1 comment:

Erin Pitts said...

Oh man I love being on the water! six hours sailing from St.Micheals is a nice ride, I've taken that trip before! My parents use to sail down on a Saturday and stay over night in St. Micheal's then sail back on Sunday. I am sad that my brother got handed down the sail boat, he's only taken me out once in the 2.5 years he's "owned" it. I have wonderful memories of sailing and the water. We grew up in a community off the Severn river. It might be "boring" for little man now but he will love being 1st mate as he gets older:)