Friday, January 4, 2008

Pediatrician Visit

Well, the visit went well, as usual. Our pediatrician is wonderful. She is crunchy enough for me to be comfortable with her and she is very gentle and respectful with Captain Adorable. She spends tons of time with her patients, and she makes me feel like my darling son is perfect. Her office is in her house, so the place smells nice, instead of like a doctor's office, if you know what I mean. We are really lucky to have her--she is no longer accepting new patients and from what I hear on the local parenting group, she's got a waiting list a mile long.

Anyhow, the good news is that Captain Adorable has grown taller and his head is bigger--still up there in the percentiles...but he lost weight. At 9 months he weighed 22 pounds and today, his 12 month visit, he weighed 21 pounds and 8 ounces. Now, he does move a lot (he's always busy!) but I can't help but think that this weight loss is due to him no longer being breastfed. Oh how I wish I hadn't had to wean him. :(

So, we're going back in 6 weeks (normally we wouldn't go back until 3 months from now) just to weigh in and be sure that he gains that weight back. I don't think I can feed the child more, but I will now try to give him more calories in each bite. Butter on everything! Lots of good fats!

He already eats 16 ounces of yogurt per day but maybe I can add whole cottage cheese as well. I think it is higher in fat than tofu and still is high in protein. I will have to look up the nutrition information. I do not think that organic chicken is that much more fatty than non-meat sources of protein, but perhaps fish would be a good one to try. I think Captain Obvious would like to share fish with his little boy, seeing as I know he wishes he could share it with his wife... I guess I need to research which fishes are safe for the babe to eat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been following your blog after hearing about your weaning Captin Adorable on MDC. I've never commented before, but I just wated you to know that someone is still reading & thinking about you. Also C.A. loseing weight right now is totally normal. All babies lose a bit when they start to walk. Don't worry, you are doing an awesome job mama!!