Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween

Halloween is such fun! Captain Adorable and I went to a party at Ms. Resourceful's house. It was awesome. There were other kids wearing cute costumes, delicious hors d'oeuvres, yummy blood punch and heated apple cider, good Halloween-themed music, a pinata (sorry, don't know how to make the proper accent show up!), bobbing for apples, drawing/coloring bags to fill with the non-candy treats that were going to drop from the pinata, and good company. I always enjoy seeing other children who are around the same age as Captain Adorable. It is amazing how different an 18 month-old and a 20 month-old are! Such a small difference in age means so much. Think about the development taking place in those sweet little heads!

Anyhow, speaking of Captain Adorable, he has been doing more things differently these days. We're teaching him to say please when he asks for something now, which is cute. He says "help" now when he wants help with something. He knows what "cook" means and what "wash" means. His vocabulary is just abounding and astounding me all the time. :)

And now for the really BIG NEWS: both today and yesterday, he asked to poop in the potty and then did it!! (Yesterday twice, but I think that was only because he got so excited after the first one he couldn't squeeze any more out and a few hours later, did the rest.) I am beginning to question why we put diapers on him at all (he wears them to sleep) and I am going to stop using the nap diapers. He is always dry (and we have a water-proof cover on the mattress) and even if he did have an accident, it is during the day and Captain Obvious is not in the bed to get annoyed, so easy to change the sheets. I no longer put the diaper cover on when we go out because he does not need it.

My son is not yet 22 months old and he is out of diapers. I am soooo glad I toughed it out during the huge back-track that was prompted by our vacation in Hawaii.

Yes, in case you were wondering, he is still sleeping in the family bed. He cuddles with one parent or another throughout the night (most often mama). We are beginning to think/talk about transitioning him to his own bed. Actually, that will happen as soon as Captain Obvious gets a few minutes to move a bunch of furniture around. I don't expect Captain Adorable to suddenly sleep in a different room! We will have his bed (maybe just side-car the crib) in the same room as us, but encourage him to sleep more and more on his own.

I love co-sleeping and I am glad that we chose this option for our family. I should dedicate a post to it at some point.

1 comment:

AP said...

Wow! That sounds like quite a party. Ms. Resourceful really IS resourceful.

I'd love to hear your thoughts about co-sleeping. We're thinking of starting a family next year and I haven't heard much about the topic.