Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Not As Rosy As Last Time

We met with the surgeon at NCI today. The description of the surgery, now that he has gotten the test results, are not as rosy as last time I talked with him. He will not be trying VATS--this will be the full-on thoracotomy. I will be in the ICU for one night and in the hospital for 5-7 days total. One of the tumors in my right lung (there are 2 showing up on the scans) is right on the periphery and may be invading my chest wall. So, no VATS--have to do the thoracotomy to have a proper look. If part of the chest wall has to be removed, it will be repaired with Gore-Tex.

I am really sad that I will have to be in the hospital for so long. And I will not be cancer-free after surgery either, seeing as there is a small nodule still in the apex of the upper left lobe.

As of now I am hoping that this surgery will buy me a year without chemo.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Just wanted you to know that I will be sending prayers and healing thoughts your way. I'm praying that 2010 will bring you nothing but good news and a new, wondeful lease on life - your beautiful baby turns three, you're settling in to your new home and this surgery will bring you closer on your path to being cancer-free. I'm so proud of you for being the strong, beautiful woman that you are and I love you so very much.

Anonymous said...

why can't they get out the one at the apex? just too much surgery? i thought that was why they were doing it: to get all the cancer out.
non-fiction