Saturday, December 8, 2007

Sick From Chemo

I had chemotherapy again on Friday (Gemcitibine) and I've been feeling bad ever since. I guess that seems pretty normal, but I feel much worse than last time I had just this drug. I had my arm looked at but it did not hurt at the time, and although it does hurt a bit now and then, it is nothing like it was those first couple days.

I did not have a good day at all. I got really upset, despite having taken the anti-anxiety drug and I cried while waiting for the IV. So good to have my husband there to hug and console me. Then I threw up while getting the chemo, so that was horrible. Fortunately I was in the bathroom when it happened. Then I had to wait forever for lunch--my sweet MIL brought lunch from Whole Foods for us and there was some traffic, so we did not eat till 12:30 (which was late for me, especially since my stomach was empty from vomiting before). Fortunately when she did get there it was almost time for me to leave, so we could eat and run. Nice to be able to have the ride home with a full stomach.

Once home I felt good enough not to nap during the afternoon while my baby was napping, but in the evening I felt like crap and deeply regretted not having napped earlier. I snapped at my Mom a few times and generally was not in a good mood. Thank goodness she had the grace to put up with me without a complaint. Captain Obvious had to go to work after he brought me home from the hospital, and he did not get home till after 8:00, so I put Captain Adorable to bed. I was very happy that it went well and easily. I really think that the bath time/bed time routine is a good one and I am glad we made the transition from showers in the morning to bath time at night. Anyhow, he went to sleep in like 20 minutes or something after his bath, so I am confident that I will be able to put him to bed while Captain Obvious is in California (he leaves tomorrow and returns in 3 days, on Wednesday).

I slept on the futon to make sure I got a whole night's sleep, but as it turned out, it was good I slept there since I would have disturbed the sleep of the captains if I had been in the family bed. I woke up at 4:00am and despite taking an anti-nausea pill, threw up at about 4:30. I tried to recover and go back to sleep, and even tried to take another pill later, but I ended up throwing up again at 5:30. After that I went downstairs and extremely quietly prepared myself some breakfast (cream of wheat) so that I'd have something in my belly and hopefully not throw up again. I also had some rose hip and hibiscus tea. I stayed up till the rest of the family got up, at about 6:45 or so. Both my husband and my Mom claimed to have been awake the whole time too (not sure I believe this, but whatever).

Anyhow, after that I decided that since I felt like crap and still a but pukey, I would go back to bed with an anti-nausea suppository. That helped a lot (no more vomit) but also knocked me out for the day, essentially. I come downstairs for an hour or so at a time, but I always end up back in bed napping. I had a bloody nose when I blew it earlier this evening. I just feel so tired and sick.

Captain Adorable is walking on his own so much that we all agree that we can officially say he is walking now, so this is the big announcement on the blog! He is so deliciously cute when he takes those little steps from one place to another. I tried to get it on video this evening, but my guess is that it is not as good on video as it is in real life. :)

1 comment:

Gina Alsdorf said...

I hope you are feeling better. I have recently been through cancer with two family members and have only concluded cancer sucks, and chemo sucks. I will say that my mother-in-law got onto the THC prescription drug (can't remember the name) which helped her a lot when it came to eating.