Friday, November 23, 2007

Went to the Beach

Today we went to the beach. My (step-)MIL, my husband, his two brothers, and I took Captain Adorable to the beach this morning at about 10:00 or so. It was so much fun! I was very nervous about being in a bathing suit (borrowed from the aunt who is hosting the whole family for Thanksgiving) in front of so many people, but I really wanted to enjoy my son enjoying the beach, so I put aside my fear and self-consciousness (I am more than a little overweight) and jumped into the experience. Aside: I was joking to the oncology nurse on the day before I left that I was hoping to see some weight loss as a result of the "chemo diet" haha. She was not amused and told me that it was good I had some reserves on my body and that now was not the time for me to be losing weight. I think maybe her stern response also helped me to be less concerned about my body and to put aside my apprehensions and just give myself permission to have the experience. It has been 7 years since I went to the beach like I did today.

It was wonderful to see the baby crawling around on the sand, and it was even more fun to watch his reaction to the water. Captain Obvious held him and jumped/rocked with waves for quite a while. He kicked and giggled and made the most pleased noises and had the biggest smiles when he was in his Daddy's arms, floating (Captain Obvious was standing) in the water. The water was a little cool, but not too bad and Captain Adorable did not seem to mind one bit. It was also fun to watch him experience the sand on the beach. He digs at it, tastes it (I saw him put more than one handful in his mouth!) and scoots across it in a fashion that shows anyone watching that he is having a ton of fun. Captain Obvious and I took Captain Adorable in the jacuzzi when we got back to the house, just to make sure he was completely warm and all the sand was off of him. He loved that too. (He went in the jacuzzi yesterday and he pooped in it but this time there was only fun and no poop. hehe)

The Thanksgiving meal yesterday made me miss my own family very much. I became pretty homesick, actually. Fortunately, my (step)MIL noticed that I was feeling sad and helped to cheer me up and I was able to join the people who were still awake after dinner and happily chat about my baby and also to share a bit about my cancer treatments.

1 comment:

Gina Alsdorf said...

The beach at Thanksgiving. Sounds great!